Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Adam and Eve, If Only One Had Fallen

On Sunday my adult Sunday School class took a week off from our series on temptation and did a week on "original sin". Our teacher, Regan, turned 50 this week, so instead of preparing another lesson it appears he took this one out of his file.

We read in Genesis the story where Satan tempts Eve, Eve consumes and then offers to Adam, then Adam consumes. The question was raised, "What would have happened if only Eve had fallen and Adam refused". The comments and topics from the audience then went all over the place.

I decided to ask, "What if Satan had tempted Adam first, would Eve have refused". There were a lot of groans in the audience and it kind of ended the discussion, class was almost over anyway so we went to prayer time.

I thought about this question and realized that we will never know the answer until heaven.

In looking over other examples in the bible, Sarah and Abraham (Ishmael), Moabite temptress women and the men of Israel, Jezebel (evil instigator) and Ahab (evil compliant), multiple wives of Solomon and Sapphira and Ananias (most historians and commentators believe Sapphira was the instigator of their property sale partial donation).

In reading the bible I see a theme that when men fall, the woman don't always follow, but when the women fall the men always follow. Maybe in his evil wisdom Satan had a reason to go to Eve first, just maybe.

This is an item I don't have scheduled for my book, I might later change my mind.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Otto, great topic! I've looked at Genesis 1-2 in depth for "...Still Single?" and ended up with a pretty fanciful image of Adam pre-Eve. I don't think there would have been a temptation but for Eve. Alas, you're right, we won't know til we get to heaven.

L.L. Barkat said...

Still, the text says that Adam was there with her. So I've often thought he was right in the thick of it.

My father once said he thought Adam was the ultimate betrayer... as he stood there waiting to see if Eve would "surely die". A little experiment if you will. And when she didn't die and his experiment seemed to have panned out, why he took the bite.

I love how you flipped the question, btw.

The Oho Report said...

longislandexpressgirl,
Thanks for your comments,

L.L.
I have passed your dad's comments on to others, pretty humorous observation.

Anonymous said...

i kind of touched on this today
in the post..."time-out".

hope you are well.

love
nancy

L.L. Barkat said...

Um, Otto. Otto? Ottooooooooo? Are you in there?

The Oho Report said...

l.l.
Thanks for the concern. Very creative.
I got distracted with doing taxes and sorting all my misc. relationship stat's and articles. On Friday I finished getting them all into files and will start posting again.

It was an emotional journey going through all of this.

The Oho Report said...

l.l.Also the camera I purchased on the internet came this wee4k. I didn't like any of my pictures, I will soon try again.